New user, Bedroom tests.

Please post finished works here.
8infinite8

New user, Bedroom tests.

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hi Guys,

I am new here :)

Here are some images of some work I have been doing. I am aware that the renders are very blurry, I did this in Photoshop. I cant seem to get rid of noise and banding artifacts in the renders. Even with everything set to High. Any extra tips as to how I may over come this would be very hand. Go easy as I have just been using Kray for the last day or two.

Scene has 1 area light and illuminated sphere. All ratracing turned on, light set to Inverse 2, 1km extra. I have read all information I can on the forums to get the best results.

What are the best settings to turn up when you want to do an UBBER render?!

Everything in the scene has been built by hand.

BTW Kray is amazing!

Cheers

Lee
Attachments
Bedrrom Test 1
Bedrrom Test 1
Bedroom Test 2
Bedroom Test 2
Haven1000

Post by Haven1000 »

could you post a screenshot of you settings? should make it easier to see a problem.

Thanks
"Place your vote now for the Kraydar pixel filter"
silverlw

Post by silverlw »

The overall light is amazing but i think the noise that we can see comes from low settings for the arealight. By default Kray uses adaptive arealights, Quality tab\set kray quality preset to Custom,change from luminosity model "auto " to indirect (this will turn of direct tracing and remove noise from luminous surfaces like your backdrop and only rely on the photonmap) finally you can change quality settings for the arealight from default recursemin1max4 to for example 4/4=nonadaptive or 2/8=adaptive or whatever that fixes the arealights noise/banding.

I am very interested to see updates of your wonderfull renders and we are here to help you so go on.
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Yes - very realistc light, You make any postproces on render ? (I mean corona, HDRExposure etc.) Show render without postproces.
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback it is very helpful. I will do some more tests tonight and also post some settings. I tried using the spotlight trick ( with turn spotlights to area lights but the shadows are just to sharp on objects ) Also the area light setting is set to 5.

I just did some simple post work in PS, using Contrast and Brightness. The room is based on a real place and I am trying to match the lighting to photo reference that was taken. The sunspot and sunsky plugins are ace. You really can mimick real life lighting based on the time of day.

The room is part of a full house model that is placed to match the real location of the house in real life and the lighting acts as it should do when you dial the day time settings. Awesome :)

I will post some more renders later today.

Does anyone know how you can achieve certain types of camera effects? like chromatic aberation, corona haze etc without Photoshop fakery?

I'm quit sad that G2 isn't integrated into the rendering :(

It's hard to get tinted relfections etc..

Thanks for your help.

Lee
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

8Infinite8 wrote:
Does anyone know how you can achieve certain types of camera effects? like chromatic aberation, corona haze etc without Photoshop fakery?
Chromatic aberation can make Lightroom from Adobe (I like this effect but never use this)
Corona is very good from LW (but You must use HDR image - this is better).
3dworks

Post by 3dworks »

hey, interesting work! ;)

here a nice PS action for faking chromatic aberration

http://www.3drender.com/light/lens.htm

cheers

markus
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

3dworks wrote:hey, interesting work! ;)

cheers

markus
Oh thx!
I like this effect.....
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hey 3DWorks, thanks for that.

I came across this plugin a while back. A superb application. Try it out.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Cheers

Lee
larry_g1s

Post by larry_g1s »

3dworks wrote:hey, interesting work! ;)

cheers

markus
Yeah, thanks for the info.
Larry V

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is
the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes.
8infinite8

Update.

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hey Guys,

Here is an update. I will post some settings later, I am trying to go for gritty realism. The scene is about 70% complete, still need extra details like bed linen, pillows and hanging clothes etc. Working with Kray is awesome so powerful and so easy to use.

Thanks for those useful tips in this thread, thanks to you guys I can now render noise and band free! Each render took about 15 mins all at High settings. Some basic PS work after render, just a case of a small amount of Blur and some blue brush sprays on a new layer set to screen over bright areas. Oh also put the pics through PTLENS : )

I know it might sound sad and cheesy but I think 'Kray will change my life'

the same way that FPRIME did a few years back : )

Rendering is now a pleasure!

Cheers

Lee
Attachments
Angle 1
Angle 1
Angle 2
Angle 2
Angle 3
Angle 3
Janusz Biela

Re: Update.

Post by Janusz Biela »

Awesome renders!
I like this style render (realism)
You must increse AA (try FSAA G5 mitchel or Random AA 100 pass) + in tailer cmds use : limitdr 1; (this reduce bad AA on contrast area)
Please : render it with bigger resolution, and show info abount postprocess.
btw PTLENS I can`t open images in this program becouse show me info: "No EXIF info. Choose profile." what around this problem? I open renders no photos.
I see some splotches (try lower SPATIAL and stronger FG)
Overbright in scene is fantastic!
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

Hi there Johny,

Thanks for your feedback, as far as I am concerned you are the GOD of kray :)

I will try out your tips ( I wondered how to get round the jagged edges on brights parts of the scene ). With regards to PTLENS, make sure you save out .jpg to load into the program. Try the .EXE, I dont use the PS plugin that comes with it.

Your tips are like Gold dust, thankyou. I will post some larger renders tomorrow. Likw your new scene BTW :)

CHeers

Lee
8infinite8

Post by 8infinite8 »

I tried those new settings that you recommended Johny, see attached. Got rid of some more noise but strangely I got some weird splotches on the blinds?

Settings attached also.

OOOPS looks like I have reached my '1MB' attachment limit. So file are here.

ANythoughts how I could improve?

Thanks for your time

Lee
Janusz Biela

Post by Janusz Biela »

Could You show PHOTONS ESTIMATE - PRECOMPUTED render?
This is VERY USEFULL tools for find errors in renders. Many users forget abount this....
For me: You have too little photons (200.000 is for prev. renders) minimum is 1.000.000 for medium/heavy scenes.
FG min is too small (try FG treshold 0 and min/max 600/3000)
I never use PATH. try 0 (OFF this).
Area light min/max is too high (good setup is 1/4 or 2/4 AA reduce Your noise...)
Luminosity treshold is high (sometimes I use 0/0)
Blurr is too high (AA reduce noise from this) try min/max 100/0 or 100/500.
Blurr accuracy limit : 1%.
AA try: FSAA G5 Mitchel (later sharp under PS) - but this setup AA is good for biger resolution in little renders You lost details. FSAA G5 Lanchos is too good.
But better AA You received when You render big renders - I mean over 1000 pix. :)